Central Mindanao University is a state university with quadrate functions: instruction, research, extension and production. It turned 107 years old on September this year as an academe since its humble beginnings as a four-year industrial elementary school. It has grown to become a nine-college university with current student population of more than 12,000. It is a Level IV state university as per CHED assessment and a Center of Excellence (COE) for Agriculture, Forestry, Biology and Veterinary Medicine education. It is a Center of Development (COD) for Mathematics and Education. It has more than 30 curricular programs that are accredited by the Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities in the Philippines (AACCUP).
It all started as a settlement farm school, one of the few in Mindanao organized by pioneering Americans in 1910. Simply named Mailag Industrial School, this pilot school offered only the first four grades of the elementary agriculture curriculum.
In 1918, it was renamed Bukidnon Agricultural School to which three more grades were added completing the curriculum to grade seven. With this, the school was transferred to Managok, a wider and greener part of Malaybalay, Bukidnon.
Several renaming, relocations, and proclamations colored the historical beginnings of CMU from Bukidnon Rural High School (BRHS) to Bukidnon Agricultural High School (BAHS), and to Bukidnon National Agricultural School (BNAS). Congressman Cesar Fortich of Bukidnon sponsored House Bill 3041 which elevated Bukidnon National Agricultural School to an agricultural state college. This proved successful when President Elpidio Quirino signed Republic Act 807, otherwise known as Mindanao Agricultural College (MAC) Charter on June 21, 1952.
In 1957-1960, three Stanford consultants, namely: James Wall, Donald Green, and John McCleland, lived in Musuan and provided technical assistance in Agricultural Technology. Musuan provided fertile and wide tracts of land ideal for diverse agricultural tillage that President Carlos P. Garcia, through the Secretary of Agriculture and Natural Resources issued Proclamation No. 476 granting CMU 3,401 hectares of land. On June 19, 1965, MAC became Central Mindanao University by virtue of Republic Act 4498. In 1974, Cadastral court decision for the segregation of several hectares was amended to support the agrarian program of the 3,401 hectares. 321 ha. were properly segregated and given to legitimate claimants. A total of 3,080 hectares was granted and titled in the name of CMU.
Section 2 of Republic Act No. 4498 mandates that Central Mindanao University shall provide programs of instruction at all levels in the arts, sciences, technical, professional, educational, and philosophical fields, and shall concern itself with pure and applied research in all branches of knowledge for the intellectual and professional growth of faculty members, for the advance instruction of students, and for increasing knowledge and understanding. Its vision is to become a leading ASEAN university actively committed to the total development of people for a globally sustainable environment and humane society. To advance the frontiers of knowledge through internationalization of education and equitable access to quality instruction, research, extension, and production for economic prosperity, moral integrity, social and cultural sensitivity, and environmental consciousness is its mission.
Ten leaders had previously navigated the journey of Central Mindanao University through the years. Supt. Montemayor saw its growth from being an industrial school, then as a college and finally as a university, and became the first university president. Dr. Campos led CMU for four years and helped it flourish as an institution of higher learning. Dr. Alcordo served the university for 12 years and built many facilities for the school. Dr. Nayga worked to elevate the standard of excellence of the various degree programs of the university. Dr. Chua served CMU for seven years, pursued excellence through the rigid screening of incoming freshmen and the hiring of a diverse pool of highly competent faculty. Dr. Gellor served for five years and highly supported the professional advancement of the faculty and staff. Dr. Salvador was OIC for one year as he concurrently served as president of another academe. Dr. Lao served for nine years and marked his leadership with increased infrastructures, a green university, strong faculty development programs, and the establishment of local and international linkages. Dr. Malunhao was OIC for two years during which CMU ranked in top positions in licensure examinations for Agriculture, Accountancy, Engineering, Forestry, Nursing, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Barroso was OIC for almost a year and served CMU while concurrently carrying his post as president of Bukidnon State University.
At present, Dr. Maria Luisa R. Soliven pilots CMU. She is the eighth and first woman President. She took oath of office on December 15, 2010 and was officially installed as University President on July 8, 2011 by Dr. William C. Medrano, Commissioner, Commission on Higher Education.
Its premier college is the College of Agriculture which has a current undergraduate student population of more than 3,000 distributed in 10 departments. It is a CHED Center of Excellence (COE) for Agriculture education and a National University Center for Agriculture (NUCA). Most of its students are from farming families in Bukidnon and from surrounding provinces. The BSA program is one of the strongest in the university. In spite of its current lack of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, its students are trained in the hardcore operations of agricultural practices since it boasts of a large area for actual crop and livestock production, among others.
|Institution WEB site|
|Mailing Address||University Town, Musuan, 8710 , Bukidnon , Bukidnon
|Agreement Signed Date||
|Update date||14/Apr/2020 03:08:50|